Quirky Question of the Month
Hey everyone, who’s up for another QUIRKY QUESTION OF THE MONTH? And, since Thanksgiving is only just a few days away, the topic is spot on for the occasion! Like, how turkey-rific is that?! (I came up with that one myself. Pretty cool, huh?)
Okay, so enough with my corny turkey puns, and let’s get on to the quirky question guys! Here it is:
Which Dork Diaries character would you invite to your Thanksgiving dinner and why? Would it be Chloe, Zoey, Brandon (SQUEEEE !!), MacKenzie (UUUUGGHH !!), or yours truly (ME, Nikki !!)? It could also be a character from my diary that I didn’t mention here. Please also tell us what you’ll be serving your special guest for Thanksgiving dinner, including yummy desserts!
Feel free to post your answers in the comments section below! And don’t worry…I won’t be mad if you choose someone else besides me. 😉
Check Out Max Crumbly!
Hey, Dork fans! My best bud, Max Crumbly, just updated his blog with his newest comic strip. Like most of us, he’s having to adjust to doing school online and hanging out at home with his zany family.
Please click on the link here for a good laugh. Also, let me know what you think about his comic strip in the comments. Enjoy!
IS IT OKAY TO LIE TO MY BFFS?
Dear Nikki,Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire
I have two BFFs just like you! We do everything together. Lately, we’ve been playing this online game where you have to be a team of three. The thing is, I don’t even LIKE playing online games. In fact, I kind of hate it. I’d rather be reading! But I told them that I love it, because they’re obsessed with it! They want me to play the game every day and it’s killing me! If I tell them the truth, I’m afraid they’ll get mad at me. . . and maybe stop wanting to be friends. What should I do?
Hi Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire,
Funny you should mention lies, because my dad just wore a shirt this morning that was COVERED IN DEAD BUGS LYING ON THEIR BACKS!!! He said it would be good for his extermination business, and he was all, “Isn’t this great?! Nikki, what do you think?”
I nearly choked on my cereal. Okay, I didn’t nearly choke. I totally choked. Then, thanks to Brianna, Miss Penelope pounded me on the back until I coughed up a cereal marshmallow shaped like a unicorn. My dad clearly LOVED the ridiculous, hideous shirt, so I looked at the wall behind him and said, “Um. . . I like it.” Because who doesn’t like walls in houses, right??? So I didn’t really lie.
Yeah, I TOTALLY lied. And that’s the thing. There are all kinds of lies:
- Mean lies, like the kind Mackenzie spreads about me constantly.Weird lies, like my temporary gym teacher Sensei Hawk saying he didn’t know where the salami sandwich in his gi (aka, karate uniform) came from.
- Little lies, like the one I told my dad (which, hey, wasn’t technically a lie, because I was talking about the wall! It’s a nice wall!).
- Straight up nice lies, like when someone asks you if you like their new haircut (PS, THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS YES! Even Brianna told me that my hair looked FABULOUS at Salon Brianna after she stinkin’ CUT. MY. BRAID. Okay, so that lie was completely obvious, and I didn’t appreciate it at the time, so maybe that’s a bad example).
- Accidental lies, like when you feel pressured into not telling the truth to friends or family. . . like when I didn’t tell my friends Chloe and Zoey that Brandon had asked me to a dance, because the three of us were supposed to go as a trio. I couldn’t stand to let them down!!!
Your situation sounds like a classic number five. And I totally get how you feel! Deep down, I know that Chloe and Zoey would have been SO excited for me if I had told them that Brandon asked me to a dance. They might have even done my Snoopy Happy Dance with me (though that would have been pretty tough if we were all in the janitor’s closet where we have our meetings during school—it’s a little cramped in there).
When I think back on that time, I really wish that I’d just been honest with them. I told myself that I was trying to protect THEM because I didn’t want to disappoint them, but really. . . I think I was trying to protect ME. I was worried about what they would think. Would they hate me for ditching our idea of going together? The answer, which I realized way too late, was OF COURSE NOT!!
The thing about lying is that it eats you up inside. I LITERALLY felt sick to my stomach, knowing that I hadn’t been truthful with my best friends. Turns out, it would have been better for me and my BFFs if I had just been honest from the start. I mean, would you want to be lied to by your BFFs? Probably not. But also, if you found out that a BFF lied to you about a sensitive situation, would you be mad at them forever? Again, probably not. When it comes down to it, it’s your decision!
My advice for you is this: be honest and up front. Talk to your BFFs about your situation and tell them how much they mean to you—I’ll bet that everything will work out fine! Then find out if there’s anything else you guys could do together that all of you sincerely love.
Okay, readers, what do you think? Have you ever felt like you needed to lie to a BFF? How did it make you feel? Tell us all about it in the comments!
Check out this video for my November Diary!
Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and I’m SUPER excited! I’m really looking forward to celebrating it with my fam and my quirky but lovable Grandma Maxwell. Plus, all of the yummy, endless food! SQUEEEE!!
And, there’s more great news! I have another fun new video for you to watch. This time, it’s all about what makes my Turkey Day awesome! Well, okay–there’s also a bit of UNPREDICTABLE DRAMA in there, too. I mean, how could there not be, right?!
Anyway, check out the Youtube video below. Also, feel free to let me know what you think in the comments!
HOW MUCH SHOULD I TEXT MY CRUSH???
Hi Brandon,Tormented Texter
I’ve got this really good friend who I recently started crushing on. We used to text all the time, but now that I LIKE-like him, I keep wondering if I’m texting him too much. Plus, I’m overanalyzing every text I send—I never used to do that! If he finds out that I’m crushing on him, I don’t want him to think I’m smothering him. What should I do???
Hey Tormented Texter,
You know what? I also have a really good friend that I’M crushing on (I’m pretty sure you know who I’m talking about ), so I know how you feel. It’s hard to know exactly how much to text someone, especially if you start crushing on them and don’t know if they like you back.
It stinks that you feel like you have to analyze your texts, but I get it. You want to make sure you say the right thing. I’ve done that with texts, too. I’ll write them, then delete them a bunch of times before sending. Then I sit there, waiting to hear back and stressing about whether or not I wrote the right thing.
I think it’s cool that you text so much—that must mean that you’re really close friends, which is awesome. I text with my bandmates a lot, and it really helps me when I’m stressed about schoolwork or my photography.
Sometimes I get nervous when I text Nikki. So if you’re not sure if your crush likes you back, because you’re both feeling too awkward to talk about it, um, yeah, I can totally relate to that too.
Bottom line, here’s my advice:
- Don’t feel like you need to change your texting habits with him. If you do, he might wonder why you’ve stopped communicating so much and think that you don’t want to be friends.
- Here’s a big one: if you don’t want to tell him that you’re crushing on him quite yet, make sure you don’t send a text to the wrong person, talking about your crush. Um, this one time, I sent a text to Nikki by mistake, and I was so embarrassed! And she sent a text to me by mistake, too. We both just tried to ignore the whole thing and it was reeeeeeeeeally awkward.
- Remember that boys feel the exact same way when they start crushing on friends.
- Try not to overanalyze your texts—just keep having fun conversations. Who knows? Maybe your crush is feeling the same way. Keep it real, keep it normal, and if he likes you, too, well… you’ll know at some point.
- Don’t let a crush get in the way of your friendship. Even if Nikki never LIKE-liked me, I’d still want to be friends with her, because she’s really cool. And she’s got a great smile. And she’s funny and loyal and—oops, sorry, I’m getting off track.
Okay, that’s all I’ve got for today!
It’s your turn, readers. Have you ever stressed about how much to text with a person that you really like? Let us know in the comments!
FALL FASHION FIASCO!!
OMG, autumn is my very FAVORITE season (Halloween! Thanksgiving! Decaf pumpkin spice lattes that my mom lets me have now and then!). I ESPECIALLY love the clothes that I get to wear in fall. Fun scarves, cool boots over leggings, plaid button-downs, fuzzy socks, and cozy sweaters (I even found face masks to match!). But here’s my dilemma: yesterday I wore my fav new outfit, and you’ll never guess what happened next. The meanest, most Mackenzie-ish girl in school was wearing the EXACT SAME THING. I mean, exact. Jeans with boots and the same flannel shirt. When she saw me in the hallway, she made a big scene and said I was pathetic for copying her—and that I was “SUCH a stalker.” And she said it in front of my crush!! I was so embarrassed that I told the nurse I was sick and went home.
How can I save my reputation and still wear the clothes I love?Fall Fashion Fiasco
Hi Fall Fashion Fiasco,
I totally agree—I love fall clothes too! As for what happened at school, I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I can DEFINITELY relate. Mackenzie has made fun of my clothes too many times to count! And then she just sashays away. I HATE it when that girl sashays! !!
Here’s a little news for people like the girl at your school. STORES SELL THE SAME STUFF TO LOTS OF PEOPLE. There are probably at least a hundred people in your town who have the same boots, jeans, and shirts.
AND, if this girl was wearing the same clothes as you, who’s to say that SHE’S not the one copying YOU, right? I mean, I’m sure she wasn’t, and you’re obviously too nice of a person to hit her with a perfectly logical comeback. But you have to admit, I’ve got a point. (PS: I always think of comebacks for Mackenzie AFTER she walks away. It’s SOOO annoying!)
I want to tell you not to worry, but I know that’s easier said than done. But here’s the thing: I’ve been embarrassed like A MILLION times. Or one-hundred million times. It’s totally mortifying when it happens, but the good news is that it’ll pass and you get over it.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- The people at your school likely know that this girl is a meanie. They won’t believe that you were copying or stalking her. Your crush isn’t that gullible (at least I hope not. But if so, you need to find a new crush who isn’t!).
- Try not to even mention it at school. Sometimes bullies are hoping you’ll have a big reaction like crying or saying something back, just so they can keep bullying you. If she brings up the clothes thing again, your best bet is to just roll your eyes and ignore her (although I’ll admit, sometimes I can’t help snapping at Mackenzie when she’s being a spoiled diva).
- Lean on your friends! My friends Chloe and Zoey are always there for me. (And by that, I mean in the janitor’s closet where we have our emergency friendship meetings! )
- Above all, don’t let this girl ruin your fav season and the clothes that go with it! Wear your fuzzy sweaters, boots and fun long-sleeved shirts! OH! And tell your mom what happened—if she’s feeling sympathetic, I’m thinking you could get a decaf pumpkin-spice latte out of it !
Okay, readers, what do you think? Have you ever had a fashion disaster or embarrassing moment at school? What did you do about it? Tell us all about it in the comments section below!
My mom is obsessed with me having a crush!!!
My mom likes to talk about boys and wants me to have a crush, but I’m not really into that kind of stuff! She asks me every week who I’m crushing on and I don’t know what to say. Even if I really did have a crush, if feels SO embarrassing to talk about it! What should I do?
What’s Up Crushless,
LOL! I get A LOT of emails from kids whose parents think they’re too young for crushes, and your mom is the EXACT opposite! Either way, parents getting involved in crushes is definitely a thing!
My guess is that it often has to do with their feelings about crushes when they were young. If, like your mom, they’re all curious and giggly and want to know everything about your crush, then they probably have gooey, warm feelings about crushes and want the same thing for you.
If they’re all strict about not getting involved in crushes until you’re older, they might not have had the best experiences OR maybe they saw friends or family members have not-so-great experiences.
Both perspectives have their points. Crushes CAN be super fun and they can also be super painful. Usually, kids are all giddy and giggly and love talking about crushes with their friends, but probably not so much with parents.
In your case, I think you need to come clean with your mom and tell her you’re actually not interested in crushes. Even if she’s disappointed because SHE was having fun thinking you were, she’s not going to be disappointed in YOU. If she’s in the giggly, crushes-are-fun camp, she’s going to want you to experience a real crush you’re super into, not something you’re going along with half-heartedly to make her happy.
The main thing is to communicate, even if—in all honesty—there’s really not much to talk about.
Hey readers, do you like telling other people about your crushes? Or, do you like keeping it to yourself? Tell us in the comments below!
November is FINALLY here, and that means really cold weather in many places, like my hometown in Westchester! Time to break out the hats, gloves and scarves. Also, time to cuddle up with a piping hot cup of cocoa. Make mine with extra whip!
You know what else it means? Time for me to share my handy November calendar with you to help you keep track of all of your exciting plans for this month! Please just click on the buttons below to download yours today. Don’t forget to circle the day for Thanksgiving! GOBBLE GOBBLE!!
Any special plans for the month of November? Feel free to share them in the comments below!
Cool New Video!
Hi Everyone! I had a really fun Halloween and I hope that you did too!
I am dying to share an exciting video by Brooke at Studio B about all of the DRAMA that I had to deal with last year at Halloween!
My BFFs Chloe and Zoey, my crush, Brandon, and my little sister, Brianna all made big plans for me to spend Halloween with each of them ! At the SAME time !
And, OMG! I almost had a complete MELTDOWN!
Brooke has been a Dork Diaries superfan since she was 7 years old! I hope you enjoy her video about Dork Diaries Book 2: Tales From a Not-So-Popular Party Girl!
Did you enjoy this video? Would you like to see more of these videos, and if so, for which Dork Diaries books? If YOU made a Dork Diaries video, what would it be about? Please post your comments below.